Monday, January 19, 2009

Moshi!






As we were walking along the street Sunday on our way to see the madness that is Harajuku, we encounter the area of street blocked off not 2 blocks from the hostel. Kids were running around and people were eating some kind of unrecognizable food. In the center was a large wooden tub full of a very thick white paste that they were pounding repeatedly with a giant wooden mallet. Occasionally they would add a little hot water and just keep pounding. We stopped to watch and a women can up and insisted we each take a plate of the food. It was a sugary, gluey rice paste reminscent of Diem Sum buns served with bean paste, soy flour and sea weed. It was pretty delicious considering we hadnt had any breakfast. After we finished we thanked them and began to leave. Another woman caught me and asked would I please help
the Moshi(she actually spoke very good English), and soon enough I had the giant mallet in my hands and was pounding away while everyone chanted Moshi! Moshi!. Sharada got a chance too. She has the pictures of that part, Im sure she will post them later. Later we made it Shibuya Harajuku and the Meiji shrine. We started celebrating Sharadas birthday early and just now finished, more on that later. Mom, here is the Gosori Girl picture you requested. On sunday they just stand around on the bridge and wait for tourists to photograph them and smoke.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotta say that I'd wear that outfit with the cool red braids if I didn't have to put on the white nose mask. But how did Little Bo Peep end up here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were in Tokyo, I wouldn't want to work. I'd just want to bang on the drum all day.

    And here I was thinking that woman was catching you in a Japanese, sugary gluey rice paste version of that Chinese tea scam.

    Be good. Happy Inauguration!

    ReplyDelete